Sunday, October 15, 2006

A thousand million miles

That's how far I've walked in the two weeks that we've been here. I've worn out one pair of shoes and had to buy more (oh no!) and I'm sure I've lost about 2 kilos ;-)

Here is a picture of the rain, of which there has been no shortage: This is looking out Mel's front window in Richmond, I love the Mary Poppins style rooftops.

Last Sunday we went to Hyde Park to watch Daniel participate in 'Run London', a 10k mini marathon through the park. There were thousands of people, you can see some of the runners here on the other side of the Serpentine:And the glorious finish (bit blurry sorry, action shot). Apparantly Neil and I are signing up for next year...Neil's new job is in Tower Hill - right near the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. It's an awesome area, architecturally striking new buldings mingled with stunning ancient masterpieces. When he went in to sign his contract the other day we had a wander around the tower and were lucky enough to be on the bridge when it opened to let a sailing ship through - apparantly that only happens a couple of times per week.

View up the Thames from Tower Bridge :

The Bridge opening:
And the boat going through:I have also landed a new job: at Stash Yarns in Putney. It was always my ambition to do something like this part time while I am here. Although the hours are not optimal - they were offering four days per week which only leaves me one for teaching - I am very excited about it as it gives me the opportunity to get into the writing and designing I've been wanting to find time for for ages. Who knows, it might be a successful career change. I love teaching but have been trying to think of something to move into when I leave work to have kids.

Haven't had any news yet about our flat (we have applied for one in Bayswater) but hope to hear tomorrow or Tuesday. Neil and I both start working tomorrow so we'd like to be settled ASAP.

News next week to let you know how work went and (hopefully) all about the new flat.

Ciao, Diane

2 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay Neil! Diane, thats a lot of miles! Wow! great pictures, i especially liked the houses : )

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Diane and Neil great to see you are settling in and being watered in well. You will certainly gorw there. Sounds like your new job will be great for a yarn Diane. Wonderful to hear you also have a job Neil. Best of luck to you both as you learn the language and the customs of your new country. Don't forget your poor
colonial relatives here in the great AUS.
By for now will be watching. Hope the blog does not become a bog with all the rain.
DaD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home